Years after visiting powerhouse Mercer, Yavapai gets its turn
Yavapai. Mercer County. The schools’ names alone invoke the stuff of legend in junior college men’s soccer lore.
For decades, since his childhood in Philadelphia, Yavapai College coach Mike Pantalione knew of Mercer’s soccer success.
TUSCON — Arizona quarterback Khalil Tate ran his streak of 100-yard rushing games to six, finishing with 206 yards and two touchdowns on 16 carries in the Wildcats' 49-28 win over Oregon State on Saturday night.
LOS ANGELES — Josh Rosen threw a 22-yard touchdown pass to Jordan Lasley on the first play of the fourth quarter and UCLA pulled away from Arizona State for a 44-37 win Saturday night.
Phoenix ends a five-game losing skid
PHOENIX — The two players counted on most by the young Phoenix Suns both had their game in high gear on Saturday night. The result was an end to the Suns' five-game losing streak.
AUBURN, Ala. — Kerryon Johnson ran for 167 yards and caught a 55-yard touchdown pass from Jarrett Stidham and No. 10 Auburn smothered No. 2 Georgia’s running game in a 40-17 victory Saturday.
FLAGSTAFF —Joe Logan ran for 142 yards and two scores and his 2-yard plunge with 4:49 remaining gave Northern Arizona the lead for good in its 37-36 win against Montana State on Saturday night.
STARKVILLE, Miss. — Mississippi State brought the all-out blitz. Alabama’s Jalen Hurts never flinched.
GLENDALE — Steve Mason worked hard in practice, stayed ready whenever he was called to make a spot start or come in for mop-up duty.
Arellano boys, Kanner and Rivera have formed cohesive unit for Yavapai
Yavapai College soccer defenders Ricardo Nunez-Arellano and Isaac Arellano have plenty in common, although not in the ways you might think.
After winning three of her first four races this season, Prescott mountain biker Mackenzie Roberts capped an improbable senior campaign by claiming the Arizona Interscholastic Cycling League individual championship Sunday afternoon.
Skurdal hits school-record nine 3-pointers in rout
Logan Skurdal scored a career-high 29 points on a school-record nine 3-pointers, three others scored in double figures and the Embry-Riddle men’s basketball team overpowered Ottawa-Arizona in a 95-69 rout Friday night.
AVONDALE — Ryan Blaney probably needs to win at Phoenix Raceway to earn a shot at NASCAR’s championship.
PHOENIX — Aaron Gordon scored 22 points and Nikola Vucevic added 19 to help the balanced Orlando Magic beat the Phoenix Suns 128-112 on Friday night.
TUCSON — Allonzo Trier scored a career-high 32 points and third-ranked Arizona opened its season with a 101-67 rout of Northern Arizona on Friday night.
TEMPE — Shannon Evans scored 25 points and De’Quon Lake added 24, leading Arizona State to a 94-74 win over Idaho State in the regular season opener for both teams Friday night.
The Prescott Masters Swim Team is scheduled to participate in the Arizona State Championships on Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 18 and 19, on the campus of Arizona State University in Tempe.
TUCSON — Khalil Tate burst onto the national scene with a record-setting performance against Colorado off the bench. He kept running away from defenders, even when teams knew what was coming.
TEMPE — The Seattle game was more costly than just a loss. The Arizona Cardinals lost their best offensive lineman, left tackle D.J. Humphries, and their leading tackler, safety Tyvon Branch, to season-ending injuries.
Cowboys owner wants all 32 owners to have chance to approve deal, threatens lawsuit
FRISCO, Texas — Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says his objection to a contract extension for NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is not because of star running back Ezekiel Elliott’s six-game suspension over alleged domestic violence.
Pantalione, Bell’s consistent approach still works after all these years
As the autumn sun faded over Ken Lindley Field Nov. 4, 29-year Yavapai College soccer coach Mike Pantalione and associate coach Hugh Bell embraced near the home bench moments before the Roughriders clinched the West District championship.
Booker scores 36 points on six 3-pointers, five others in double figures
Askia Booker scored 36 points on 11 of 17 shooting from the field, including six 3-pointers, Xavier Silas added 33 points and the Northern Arizona Suns survived a pesky Iowa Wolves squad in a 141-140 victory Thursday night.
Cal-Pac Player of the Year Jalin Yoder leads Eagles with 15 kills
It was a breakthrough performance on Thursday night for the Embry-Riddle volleyball team, which advanced to the Cal Pac Conference Tournament championship match on its third attempt against the same opponent.
GLENDALE — The Arizona Cardinals beat NFC West rival San Francisco last week with a heavy dose of Adrian Peterson.
Winning streak reaches 12 games, shutout stretch to 11
Embry-Riddle’s women’s soccer team on Thursday advanced to the Cal Pac Conference Tournament championship match, shutting out La Sierra, 4-0, in the semifinals to extend its winning streak to 12.
- New year, new start for Station 7
- Oops, county considers buying three lots where developer accidentally put a road
- 3 patients air-lifted following 3-car head-on crash on SR 260, driver arrested
- Prescott war hero devoted to giving back to his hometown that instilled in him his patriotic values
- Need2Know: New wine tasting venue in Prescott; Acupuncture Center of Prescott moves
- NAU professor indicted for stalking student, firefighters
- Tips for living with coyotes; rule No. 1 - Don’t feed them
- New book chronicles Yarnell Fire tragedy ground zero
- Body recovered at Grand Canyon may be missing Utah man
- Yavapai College providing free tuition to those with GEDs
- Police Update: Body found near Mayer, but teacher killed in Williams
- Diesel tanker collision on I-17 turns fatal
- Intoxicated Prescott Valley man invades home; occupant goes to hospital
- Highway 89A traffic will exceed 69 soon, say experts
- Two arrested in auto burglaries, police say lock your car doors
- New year, new start for Station 7
- Mogollon Monster has been seen in Grand Canyon area and as far south as Prescott Valley?
- Monday morning crash fatally injures 63-year-old Chino Valley woman
- 10 patients assessed after I-17 wrecks
- Editorial: 'Banning the box' in Arizona is the right move