At the beginning of the season, Washington State coach Mike Leach played coy with the media — as he often does — over his choice for starting quarterback.
PARIS — If the World Cup had given the impression that Lionel Messi was slipping down soccer’s pecking order, the Argentine star made it clear he remains at the top of his game.
ATLANTA — The bonus pool for the PGA Tour postseason doubles next year to $70 million in a revamped system that gives a head start to top players at the Tour Championship and pays $15 million to the FedEx Cup champion.
Beyond the Lines
Mark Cuban recently said: “I think everyone who owns a top four professional sports team just basically saw the value of their team double.”
PHOENIX — Kyle Hendricks took a one-hit shutout into the ninth inning and the Chicago Cubs three-hit the Arizona Diamondbacks in a 5-1 win Monday night to open their important three-game series.
TEMPE — In the first two games for Steve Wilks as an NFL head coach, his Arizona Cardinals have been outscored 58-6.
SEATTLE — The offense for No. 10 Washington may still have some things to figure out. Defensively, the Huskies are doing just fine.
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said he has sent letters and had conversations with families of players as a key step toward containing and repairing the scandal that led to his three-game suspension, a saga he describes as "a window in time I made an error."
CLEVELAND — Josh Gordon's strange, stuttering career will start anew in New England. Bill Belichick and Tom Brady have a new offensive toy.
BALTIMORE — A historic defeat for the Baltimore Orioles wasn't much different than the 106 that preceded it. Baltimore managed only three hits in falling to Toronto 5-0 on Monday night and tied an Orioles record for losses in a season.
PHILADELPHIA — He's back. Carson Wentz has been cleared to return and is slated to start for the Philadelphia Eagles against Indianapolis in Week 3.
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — As if Bills coach Sean McDermott didn't have enough to worry about in trailing the Los Angeles Chargers 28-6 at halftime on Sunday.
There’s no real reason to go over what happened at the U.S. Open singles final except the fact that everyone seems to have a different take on it. Tennis, like most sports can be very emotional - and even more so because it’s just one person playing another, it falls completely on your own shoulders - you against them.
NEW ORLEANS — Wil Lutz kicked a 44-yard field goal for New Orleans with 21 seconds left, Cleveland kicker Zane Gonzalez pushed the second of his two missed field goals wide right in the final seconds, and the Saints held on for a 21-18 victory that extended the Browns’ winless streak to 19 games.
LOS ANGELES — Todd Gurley ran for three touchdowns, Jared Goff threw for 354 yards and a touchdown and the Los Angeles Rams dominated the Arizona Cardinals 34-0 on Sunday.
HOUSTON — Justin Verlander struck out 11 in seven solid innings and the Houston Astros extended their AL West edge, topping the Arizona Diamondbacks 5-4 Sunday.
Misery loves company, and there's plenty to go around for first-year coaches at some of the high-pedigree programs in college football.
TUSCON — Khalil Tate passed for a career-best 349 yards and five touchdowns, then sat out most of the fourth quarter and Arizona gave Kevin Sumlin his first victory as Wildcats coach with a 62-31 rout of Southern Utah on Saturday night.
SAN DIEGO — Junior Ryan Agnew threw his first career touchdown pass to cap an impressive drive to tie the game just before halftime, Juwan Washington rushed for 138 yards and one score and San Diego State's defense came up huge as the Aztecs survived a crazy ending to upset No. 23 Arizona State 28-21 on Saturday night.
PRESCOTT — Now in their eighth year of intercollegiate play, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s men’s and women’s golf programs have not only been competitive — they’ve been proven winners in the NAIA ranks.
HOUSTON — The Houston Astros were in a celebratory mood after helping Charlie Morton get a milestone win.
CLEVELAND — With ski googles perched on his head, Michael Brantley stood in the middle of Cleveland’s rocking clubhouse just a few from a bin overflowing with dozens of empty beer and champagne bottles.
LAS VEGAS — Seven months into the NASCAR Cup series season, Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick are dead-even atop the standings. ...
The fun in a college football season does not really start until there is big upset, a Top Ten team losing to an unranked team.
If there’s ever going to be a changing of the guard in the AFC, then Sunday’s visit to Jacksonville by the Patriots would seem a perfect time. ...
- Virus affecting deer in Yavapai Hills area near Prescott
- Need2Know: Land development allowed adjacent to ERAU; Dutch Bros opens in Prescott; PV pizza place; Talking Glass
- Sheriff’s Office seeking Prescott man in connection with aggravated assault
- Large police presence at Prescott High School; campus surrounded
- Large police presence at Prescott High School; law enforcement clearing campus
- Bodies of 4 men in ATV crash off an Arizona cliff recovered
- Speed, alcohol alleged factors in motorcycle crash at Chino Valley roundabout
- Police search for armed person at Prescott High School, turn up nothing
- Former Prescott pastor faces new child molestation and abuse charges, held on $1M bond
- YCSO volunteer rescues dog attached to moving semi-truck
- Prescott High student’s gunshot death double tragedy
- Authorities investigating shooting death of PHS student
- One killed in plane crash north of Prescott Airport
- Update: SR 89 reopens after fatal crash north of Chino Valley
- 22-year-old mother dead after multiple-vehicle crash on State Route 260
- Virus affecting deer in Yavapai Hills area near Prescott
- Plane crashes at Prescott Airport; no signs of life
- Two adults, one child killed in Highway 89 crash
- Need2Know: Dunkin’ Donuts; luxury apartments coming; Burlington; King Kong gone?; Sushi; Raven Café; and Dollar General
- 3 teenagers arrested for firing gun in Prescott Valley’s Fain Park