Originally Published: October 15, 2018 2:08 p.m.
PHOENIX — A woman is in custody after a car crash in Phoenix that killed a man in a gas station's parking lot.
Phoenix police say 33-year-old Shanika Bennett has been booked into jail on suspicion of manslaughter and driving impaired.
Police say Bennett was driving a vehicle around 3 p.m. Saturday and tried to brake to avoid hitting a vehicle in the roadway.
They say she was unable to slow down or stop because of possible mechanical issues with her vehicle.
It went off the roadway and into a parking lot where 34-year-old Sergio Grimaldo was struck as he exited the gas station.
Police say Grimaldo was taken to a hospital in extremely critical condition and died from his injuries.
It was unclear Sunday if Bennett has a lawyer yet.
More like this story
- Arizona in Brief: Man arrested in Phoenix killings of estranged wife, 2 kids
- Arizona in Brief: Woman driver arrested in Phoenix crash that killed 1, hurt 4
- Arizona in Brief: Police searching for driver in fatal hit-and-run of 77-year-old
- Police: Man freed from jail steals car from its parking lot
- Phoenix police: Man accused of fatal shooting at a toy drive