Originally Published: February 27, 2018 6:04 a.m.
The Heritage Middle School wrestling team posted a successful 2017-18 season. Among the accolades, Heritage took first place at the Northern Arizona Wrestling Championships and first at the Camp Verde Duals. The group was second at the Flagstaff Dual earlier this year.
Three wrestlers also placed at the state tournament in Tempe including Jaxton Mortenson, Isaiah Mainez and Dakota McMains. Mortenson finished 47-7 overall on the mat this season, while Matthew Davis was 38-10. McMains wrapped up his season with a 28-6 overall record.
“With such strong support, it is not surprising that the wrestling program feels more like a family than a simple athletic program,” Heritage athletic director Hillary Palmer said in a press release.
McMains, an eighth grader, said he’s been involved in wrestling since his days at Del Rio Elementary School, and loves the Heritage program.
“I love how the coaches get all of the wrestlers involved in the program,” McMains said.
Heritage is led by coach Bob Davis, along with Hunter Davis, Jake Lane and Danny Duran.
More like this story
- Bradshaw, Chino Valley wrestlers hit mats Friday, Saturday at Verde Duals
- Youth Wrestlers Win at State Championships
- Chino wrestlers top Blue Ridge, Coconino
- Winter Preview: Prescott wrestling eager for another successful season on the mat
- Bradshaw Mtn. wrestling seeks to peak at season's end as new Division III member