Originally Published: February 13, 2018 5:54 a.m.
GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) — A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder in the vehicle-dragging death of his stepfather in Glendale during an argument over a truck.
Police say 30-year-old Tyrus Ellis assaulted 57-year-old Terrence Ayers and dragged him for 300 feet behind the truck during Friday's dispute.
Investigators say the truck belonged to Ellis' brother, who didn't want him using it.
The dragging occurred when Ellis got into the truck and Ayers, who was standing outside the vehicle, reached in to shut off the engine.
Police say Ellis then accelerated and dragged his stepfather, who was halfway into the vehicle, down the street.
Ayers died from his injuries.
Police say Ellis fled the scene, but was arrested Sunday.
It's not clear whether Ellis has an attorney who can comment on his behalf.
More like this story
- Arizona in Brief: Detective: Neighbors heard ex-con kill mother, stepfather
- PV officers arrest suspect on assault and related charges
- Phoenix man arrested, accused of killing his husband who wanted divorce
- Man accused in 9 killings had discipline problems in prison
- Phoenix police: Man accused of fatal shooting at a toy drive