Parents who lost a child to addiction are sending Valentines to their Governors and the President. This event created on Facebook has gone into every grief support group, shared 600 times. This is our point...Since the President declared the opioid epidemic a 90-day public health emergency in October, he has not made new funding available. Basically the declaration did nothing. 174 people are still dying every single day and nothing is being done at the federal level. The first 90 days ended Jan. 23.
We parents of loss can no longer fight for our child. But through the voices of our child, we can fight for those still struggling so no other parent has to suffer as deeply as we have.
Thousands of cards will be sent to arrive on Valentine’s Day, a day people are sharing love, our hearts sharing in our brokenness, containing a message as well as a photo. We hope every card is opened, every photo seen. Somebody’s child, their lives mattered, and still do. We do this in hopes for change. We need funding to be released to save our children...their children. We do this, parents of loss, united...what else do we have to lose?
More like this story
- Column: Dying for love? Don't do it like Bishop Valentine
- Full text of Gov. Ducey's 2018 State of the State speech
- Column: Valentine's romance going strong through the centuries
- Trump calls for liberation from 'scourge' of drug addiction
- Dear Rhonda and Dr. Cheri ... Spoiled kids become spoiled grown-ups