Sawdust machine at business sparks fire in Prescott

Prescott firefighters work to put out a fire in a defective sawdust collection unit Friday at a business on EZ Street in Prescott. (Prescott Fire Dept./Courtesy)

Prescott firefighters work to put out a fire in a defective sawdust collection unit Friday at a business on EZ Street in Prescott. (Prescott Fire Dept./Courtesy)

Fire in a defective sawdust collection machine Friday at the Door and Window Store on EZ Street in Prescott caused about $50,000 in damage, Prescott Fire has reported.

At about 10 a.m. Friday, Prescott firefighters responded to the call, with the initial arriving unit finding the sawdust collection machine fully involved in smoke and flames, and attached to the exterior of the building, according to a news release. Firefighters called for a commercial structure assignment.

At the time the Prescott Fire Department had five engines and about 15 personnel committed to the structure fire, while Central Arizona Fire and Medical engines from Chino Valley and Prescott Valley covered medical emergency calls within the Prescott city limits.

The EZ Street fire extended into a series of ducts throughout the store, Prescott Fire reported, and fire crews stayed on scene until 2:30 p.m.

Friday, with one engine leaving at about 5:30 that had been working to isolate any remaining problems.

The damage throughout the store was estimated to be about $50,000 on the million dollar property, the news release states.

Information provided by Prescott Fire