The Daily Courier Logo
Trusted local news leader for Prescott area communities since 1882
6:56 AM Tue, Oct. 16th

Letter: Need education solutions

Editor:

Regarding teacher salaries and shortages in Arizona, the figures you quoted as of May 2016 from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (the Dec. 21 article) are in conflict from the statistics available from other reliable sources. The websites www.teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state/ and www.uslearning.net/cost-of-living-by-state.html show that Arizona teacher salaries rank No. 23 in the U.S.A., ahead of states such as Maine, Colorado, North Carolina, Florida, etc.

Every day you devote an entire page to TV programming. I suggest further investigation devoted to the big picture of American education, including coverage of the big scandal: only 44 percent of our Arizona tax dollars actually go to the classroom, for the teachers and their student children. That leaves the lopsided majority of our dollars (56 percent) to be given to numerous administrators and bureaucrats sitting behind desks and attending conferences, with the only solution they see as more dollars and raising taxes, rather than trying to reduce or eliminate the “bureaucratic hassles ranging from paperwork to overly restrictive rules on how teachers are supposed to give lessons.”

What if Gov. Doug Ducey were to sign a law requiring administrators and Department of Education employees to spend their time in classrooms as substitute teachers until the “teacher shortage” problem is solved?

Eleanor Lazok

Prescott Valley