After suffering their first loss of the season in a 3-0 defeat against Willow Canyon just 24 hours earlier, a short-handed Prescott girls’ soccer team bounced back earning a 2-2 tie against a tough Higley club on day two of the Arizona Soccer Showcase in Phoenix on Thursday afternoon.
Playing without six starters, five of which didn’t make the trip due to winter break, Prescott still managed to give the Knights a match Thursday.
Lauryn Mayhan, a sophomore, scored in the 7th minute to give the Badgers a 1-0 lead, then Sawyer Magnet tied the game at 2-2 in the 61st minute off an assist from Emma Townsend, but Higley (11-1-1, 0-0 Desert Sky) held on.
Goalkeeper Emily Hobson recorded nine saves between the posts for the Badgers (5-1-1, 1-0 Grand Canyon), which had 14 shots on goal in the tie.
Prescott is scheduled to face Marana at 9:30 a.m. today during day three of the Arizona Soccer Showcase in Phoenix.
Brian M. Bergner Jr. is sports editor for The Daily Courier, the Prescott Valley Tribune and the Chino Valley Review. Follow him on Twitter at @SportsWriter52 or on Facebook at @SportsAboveTheFold. Email email@example.com or call 928-445-3333, ext. 1106.
More like this story
- Preps: Rodriguez scores hat trick, Badgers earn 3-2 road win over Moon Valley
- Centennial hands Badgers first loss of season, 2-1
- Spring Preview: Badgers to lean on ‘deep’ pitching staff in 2018
- Prep Girls Soccer: Badgers stun Mustangs late, 3-2
- Prep Soccer: Prescott bounces back to defeat Cesar Chavez