Photo by Les Stukenberg.
CHINO VALLEY – The three-time defending small-schools state champion Chino Valley High boys’ soccer team earned the No. 2 seed into the eight-team 2A state tournament that starts this Friday, Oct. 28.
Chino Valley will take on seventh-seeded Desert Christian in the quarterfinals at 5 p.m. Friday at Benedict Sports Complex in Tempe.
Meanwhile, Chino’s No. 1-ranked girls’ soccer team will enter the 2A state tournament as the top seed and face No. 4 seed Lakeside Blue Ridge at 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, also at Benedict.
If the Cougars’ boys win, they would advance to the semifinals at 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at Benedict. The championship is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5, at Campo Verde High in Gilbert.
If Chino’s girls beat Blue Ridge, they would qualify for the state championship match versus the winner of the No. 3 seed Northland Prep-No. 2 seed Round Valley semifinal. The title match is slated for 1 p.m. Nov. 5, also at Campo Verde High.
in 5 to Lee Williams (Oct. 25)
PRESCOTT VALLEY – In its 2016 season home finale on Tuesday night, Oct. 25, Bradshaw Mountain High’s volleyball team lost to Grand Canyon Region opponent Lee Williams in five games.
The Bears suffered their fourth straight loss, all in region, after a 25-21, 18-25, 23-25, 26-24, 12-15 setback. Bradshaw was led by Randee Clifford’s 15 assists, 24 service points with an ace (100 percent serving), 15 digs and a block assist.
Aiding in the effort for the Bears were Saylor Ford (11 assists, four digs); Mailani Mannel (13 kills, 17 service points with three aces, 11 digs and two block solos); Reillie Smith (five digs, five points); and Jordyn Moser (served 17 points with two aces, 22 digs).
Bradshaw (4-12 overall record, 1-10 region) visits Mohave for its season finale at 6 p.m. today, Oct. 27, in Bullhead City.
PREP MTN. BIKING
Prescott wins to remain
atop state standings (Oct. 23)
FOUNTAIN HILLS – Prescott High’s mountain biking team won the fourth Arizona High School Cycling League race of the 2016 season at McDowell Mountain Regional Park on Sunday, Oct. 23, to remain in first place in the state standings.
Badgers coach Wayne Fernandez said the 5.6-mile course provided “a tough race for the Prescott riders, as the heat played a big factor.”
Despite unseasonable temperatures hovering in the mid-90s, Prescott won by a 70-point margin over runner-up Cave Creek Cactus Shadows High.
Prescott now leads the series by 442 points over second place Cactus Shadows. The league’s final race of the 2016 season is Sunday, Nov. 6, with the State Finals at White Tanks Regional Park in Waddell.
The Badgers’ results at Fort McDowell were as follows.
• Varsity Boys’ race (four laps): Paul Fabian – 1st place, 1:30.08 (series points leader); Andrew Mull – 13th, 1:45.04; Connor Rosborough – 15th, 1:48.06; Andrew Myrick – 18th (no time).
• Varsity Girls’ race (three laps): Alex Shumaker – 6th place, 1:31.00; Lexi Hammes – 7th, 1:32.25; Drew Shumaker – 8th, 1:34.12.
• JV Boys’ race (three laps): Hayden Rosborough – 1st place 1:09.55 (series points leader); Grayson Hughes – 3rd, 1:13.12; Sam Ward – 19th, 1:28.11; Cole Bailey – 20th, 1:28.12; Dylan Lundmark – 22nd, 1:31.27; Kevin Martinez – 23rd, 1:33.14; Nick Hight – 27th, 1:42.32.
• JV Girls’ race (two laps): McKenzie Roberts – 8th, 1:01.51; Dani Cross – 23rd, 1:18.21; Mary Powers – 29th, 1:31.56.
• Freshman Boys’ race (two laps): Bryce Vaughn – 5th, 57:48.
• Freshman Girls’ race (two laps): Zaydie Croy – 4th, 1:08.15; Ivy Bailey – 5th, 1:08.18.
Embry-Riddle women extend
winning streak to 5 (Oct. 23)
ANAHEIM, California – Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s women’s soccer team won its fifth straight match on Sunday, Oct. 23, shutting out Bethesda University, 4-0, on the road.
The NAIA No. 23-ranked Eagles improved their record to 10-2-2 overall and 4-1 in the Cal Pac Conference.
Carly Elias, Parker Lee, Nat Bristol and Ashtin Martinson scored a goal apiece. Bristol, Elias and Linda Hughes each had an assist.
Last Saturday in Cal Pac play, ERAU defeated Soka University, 2-1, in Aliso Viejo, California.
Breanna Larkin scored both goals for the visiting Eagles. Krista Lee and Bristol tallied an assist apiece.
The Eagles have three regular-season matches remaining, all in the Cal Pac. Next up, they will host Antelope Valley at 3:30 p.m. this Saturday, Oct. 29, on their campus field in Prescott.
Badgers lose at Campo Verde
in team state opener (Oct. 25)
GILBERT – Seventh-seeded Campo Verde eliminated No. 10 seed Prescott High, 5-3, in the first round of the Division II State Team Badminton Tournament on Tuesday, Oct. 25.
In singles, Prescott’s team Nos. 4-6 players posted victories, including Paige Campbell, Sierra Price and Zoey Frazier.
On Oct. 21 in the singles state tournament, Prescott’s Megan Raiss lost in the first round. Meanwhile, in the doubles state tournament, the Badgers’ pairing of Abby Nelson-Paige Campbell won in the first round before succumbing in the second round.
More like this story
- Local Rundown: Yavapai College spikers win 6th straight match, drop Pima
- Local Rundown: Mingus Union golf wins 4-way meet at Prescott Country Club
- Chino Valley boys soccer faces Blue Ridge in race to the top
- Local Rundown: Chino Valley girls' soccer clinches D-V, Section II title
- Chino Valley boys' soccer gets 7 second-half goals in win