CHINO VALLEY - A man who allegedly beat an 8-year-old child with a computer cable and then assaulted the child's mother when she tried to intervene was arrested the night of Wednesday, June 17, a Chino Valley police spokesman said.
Jose Juan Radilla, 37, was charged after police said he disciplined the child for a "minor behavioral issue" by striking the child with the cord, Lt. Vince Schaan said.
He turned on the mother when she protested, he said, and then when he "was finished assaulting the mother, he turned his attention back to the 8-year-old," Schaan said.
"The continued assault resulted in multiple injuries to the child's face, head and back," he added. "The injuries resulted in the tearing and opening of the skin on the back of the child which resulted in bleeding and numerous welts on the back."
The victims were able to get away. Radilla admitted to police that he had committed the assault, Schaan said.
Radilla was booked into the Camp Verde jail on charges of aggravated assault on a child under 15, child abuse, and assault per domestic violence.
More like this story
- In fight with 13- and 17-year-olds, 2 men arrested in Chino Valley shooting
- 10-year-old victim of alleged child abuse dies
- Chino mother, boyfriend charged with attempted murder of 10-year-old boy
- Prescott police make arrest on child abuse charges
- Mom arrested, boyfriend wanted in Chino Valley child abuse case