Originally Published: September 6, 2014 6:02 a.m.
PHOENIX - A man has been sentenced to death for fatally beating his live-in girlfriend's 3-year-old daughter in Chandler.
Maricopa County prosecutors say 28-year-old Dauntorian Sanders also was sentenced Friday to 19 1/2 years in prison for two counts of child abuse. He was convicted of first-degree murder.
Chandler police say Schala Vera was found in her home, lying between a toilet and a bathroom sink where she crawled to hide on Aug. 31, 2009.
They say she wasn't breathing and was covered with bruises and belt marks on her arms, legs, torso and head.
The toddler later died at a hospital.
A police report said Sanders beat the girl with belts frequently over the last three months of her life.
An autopsy showed Schala died of massive blunt force trauma.
More like this story
- 'Legally dead' man pleads guilty to kidnapping, murder of 12-year-old
- Phoenix man accused of killing pregnant girlfriend
- Arizona in Brief: Man sentenced in burning, killing of baby girl in Arizona
- Fort Mohave man gets 20-year sentence for baby's death
- Autopsy today for body thought to be mother of murdered girl