Yavapai College  - Aviation 0801

Home | Classifieds | Place an Ad | Public Notices | Subscriber Services | 928 Media Lab | Real Estate Search | Galleries | Obits | Yellow Pages | TV Listings | Contact Us
The Prescott Daily Courier | Prescott, Arizona

home : features : real estate August 01, 2014


10/22/2009 9:59:00 PM
Carbon monoxide monitors a must with gas fireplaces
By RANDY WEST
Courier Columnist

A month ago I inspected a home and found carbon monoxide entering the home from the gas fireplace. Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless - the only way to test for it is with a carbon monoxide tester. I recommended a contractor check the fireplace operation. A fireplace contractor came out and checked the fireplace, and provided a written report that said the fireplace was completely safe. Fortunately, my client's Realtor insisted I re-inspect the home.

The fireplace contractor stated no carbon monoxide was found using a TIFF 8900. I have a TIFF 8900. These are gas leak tracers; they do not test for carbon monoxide. I use a high-quality ($600) carbon monoxide tester. When I returned to the home, there was still carbon monoxide entering the home. It was at this moment that I knew what I was going to write about this week: fireplaces.

WARNING: I usually try to get a chuckle or two out of you in my columns, but there are no funnyisms in this one. After the first draft I realized this was a hot topic and I should not put a damper on it.

Traditional wood-burning fireplaces are not very efficient at warming a home because most of the heat is going up the chimney. You can warm your buns a little if you sit right on the hearth, but if you move away from the fireplace you don't feel much heat. I rarely see a traditional wood-burning fireplace in newer homes, and when I do they almost always have a gas (fake) log kit installed.

Gas fireplaces produce a lot of carbon monoxide. On most gas appliances (cooking ranges, water heaters, etc.) the burners are adjusted to produce maximum heat. This makes a blue flame and minimal carbon monoxide. Gas fireplace burners are adjusted to simulate a wood fire; the more orange flame (and carbon monoxide), the better.

Most newer homes have gas-only fireplaces. These are convenient - most have pilot lights with a push-button igniter. The burner is usually turned on with a wall switch; some have a thermostat or remote control. These have "sealed" burn chambers - you can't actually touch the fake logs without removing a glass cover/door. These fireplaces are safe because the burn chamber is isolated from the interior space.

There is a concern with how these fireplaces are vented to the exterior. Many are vented through a metal chimney that is routed up above the roof - a safe installation. However, many are vented through an exterior wall. The concern is if this vent is near a door or opening window. I almost always find over 100 ppm (parts per million) of carbon monoxide in the exhaust gas of a gas fireplace. I've found as much as 400 ppm. If a window or door near the fireplace exhaust vent is open while the fireplace is operating, the exhaust gas and carbon monoxide could be drawn back into the home.

This is a bigger concern if the window near the fireplace exhaust is in a different room. Many times I have seen a corner fireplace that vents through an exterior wall near a window in the adjacent room, frequently a bedroom. When I see these installations I recommend installing a carbon monoxide detector in all rooms with windows near the fireplace exhaust vent. I also recommend putting a "screw lock" on the tracks on the windows near the fireplace vent in the winter, as a reminder not to open them.

There are different concerns with a gas log kit installed in a wood-burning fireplace. These are always vented through a chimney above the roof, so there is little concern about the exhaust gas. However, many times I have found carbon monoxide entering the home at the fireplace.

The first thing you need to check is the damper. If the damper is closed and you turn on the gas burner, carbon monoxide will definitely enter the home. There will not be smoke, and may not be any odor, but there will be carbon monoxide. When a gas log kit is installed, a clamp should be installed on the damper to keep it fully open. Some fireplace contractors will remove the damper or disable it so it remains open. This is easy to check. If you have a gas log kit and a damper, make sure the damper cannot be closed.

A gas log kit has to be "listed" for use with that specific fireplace. Unfortunately, this is almost impossible for you, or even home inspectors, to verify. If a log kit is not listed, you can get carbon monoxide in the home even if the damper is fully open. Even when the gas log kit is listed for a fireplace, I have found carbon monoxide entering a home. One time a manufacturer's representative came out and simply rearranged the logs. That was all it took to correct the problem. Which means all it took to create the problem was someone rearranging the logs.

I recommend you install a carbon monoxide detector in any room with a gas fireplace. There is some debate over "acceptable" indoor levels of carbon monoxide, but a generally accepted number is no more than 9 ppm. Some carbon monoxide detectors don't activate unless there are high levels of carbon monoxide (one brand doesn't go off until 70 ppm). And the test button on most carbon monoxide detectors does not test the "tester," it just tests the alarm (i.e. that it can make noise). So a carbon monoxide detector is no replacement for common sense.

You need to find where your gas fireplace vents to the exterior. If it vents through a wall, you need to take the proper precautions. You should have your fireplace checked and serviced yearly by an appropriate professional. If you can find a manufacturer's name on your fireplace, try to find a professional who is qualified and experienced with your brand of fireplace. And ask the contractor to test for carbon monoxide in the home.

Randy West owns Professional Building Consultants in Prescott. He is a state-certified home inspector and has performed almost 5,000 home inspections in the Prescott area. West is past president of the Arizona Chapter of the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI), and currently serves on the Home Inspector Rules and Standards Committee for the Arizona Board of Technical Registration. Contact him at randy@inspectprescott.com.




    Recently Commented     Most Viewed
Letter: Invest in teachers to improve education (8 comments)
Poll outlines top eight citizen goals for a better Arizona (1 comment)
Letter: US inaction invites immigrant overload (23 comments)
Obituary: Kathleen "Kay" Tully Jenner (3 comments)
Column: Chicago-style politics spread worldwide (26 comments)


Reader Comments

Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012
Article comment by: Linda Sgroi

I had gas logs installed in my fireplace which I occasionally would burn wood in but was told because my house is old it would be safer to change to gas logs. When the chimney was cold it would smoke a little when burning wood. We use the gas logs every night and a sooty coating has appeared on the mantle and walls in that room. I called back the installer and he rearranged the logs. That made no difference. So I had the chimney cleaned. No difference. Then we called in a mason who had us look up the chimney with him and pointed out that at some point in time it had been lined with a liner half the size of the flue and not connected to the smoke chamber at all. I understand burning gas doesn t make smoke, and carbon monoxide is colorless. So can you tell me what the sooty coating is? So confused in New Jersey. Linda



Article Comment Submission Form
Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. The email and phone info you provide will not be visible to the public. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comments are limited to 1300 characters or less. In order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit your comment entries to five(5) per day.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Required
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   


Advanced Search

HSE - We want to hear from you
HSE - Circulation Costco Memebership offer
HSE- Rants&Raves
Find more about Weather in Prescott, AZ
Click for weather forecast






Quick Links
 •  Submit site feedback or questions

 •  Submit your milestone notice

 •  Submit your letter to the editor

 •  Submit a news tip or story idea

 •  Place a classified ad online now

Find It Features Blogs Milestones Extras Other Publications Links
Classifieds | Subscriber Services | Real Estate Search | Galleries | Find Prescott Jobs | e-News | RSS | Site Map | Contact Us
Yavapai Gaming - August 2014

© Copyright 2014 Western News&Info, Inc.® The Daily Courier is the information source for Prescott area communities in Northern Arizona. Original content may not be reprinted or distributed without the written permission of Prescott Newspapers, Inc. Prescott Newspapers Online is a service of Prescott Newspapers Inc. By using the Site, dcourier.com ®, you agree to abide and be bound by the Site's terms of use and Privacy Policy, which prohibit commercial use of any information on the Site. Click here to submit your questions, comments or suggestions. Prescott Newspapers Online is a proud publication of Western News&Info, Inc.® All Rights Reserved.

Software © 1998-2014 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved